Temp. F.T. (1.0) Life Skills/Resource Room Teacher
A temporary full-time (1.0) Life Skills/Resource Room Teacher (Maternity leave January 3, 2017 until June 30, 2017) is required by School District No.
60 (Peace River North). The assignment will be at Dr. Kearney Middle School.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Masters in Special Education (or working towards)
- excellent interpersonal, communications, collaborative and organizational skills
- expertise in a wide range of teaching and management strategies
- knowledge of methods for evaluating and selecting instructional materials suitable for students with a variety of special needs
- ability to carry out a variety of assessments, including classroom observation, administration and interpretation of norm-reference assessment instruments,
curriculum-based assessment, diagnostic teaching methods, and functional analysis of behavior
- ability to develop and implement extensive Individual Education Programs (IEP's) (detailing adaptations and modifications) in consultation with classroom
teachers, parents, students and district resource personnel
- experience with practices appropriate for low incidence students with special needs; including functional curriculum, community based progress, discrete
trial training, pictorial communication systems. MAPS and PATH facilitation and non-aversive approach And CPI.
- POPARD training or university level course work on developing educational programs for students with Autism and related disorders
- Set BC Technology experience would be an asset
- willingness to participate in the TAG program within a house system
- understanding of or experience with sensory integration programs
- ability to provide directions to a number of educational assistants and plan and schedule appropriately for the most educationally efficient use of
their services and skills
- advocacy for and empathy with students with special needs and their families
- ability/desire to work collaboratively with classroom teachers at a variety of levels, and a commitment to inclusive education
- proven experience working with Educational Assistants and their roles/responsibilities
- promote inclusive school atmosphere
- experience/training/knowledge of PBIS would be an asset
- knowledge/experience with Assessment for Learning
- knowledge and experience with the use of Assistive Technology in special education
- valid and subsisting BC Ministry of Education Teaching Certificate (or eligible for)
Location: Fort St. John is located in beautiful Northern British Columbia. The Peace River North School District is located on the eastern side of the
Rocky Mountains in the northern tip of the Canadian Prairies. The region’s economy is both prosperous and expanding. This positive economic outlook
is based on the petro-chemical, agriculture, forestry, tourism and commercial/service industries. Highlights of our educational program include a commitment
to early intervention, early and late French Immersion, inclusion based student support services, a band program, the meaningful integration of technology,
an Aboriginal student support program, an Outdoor Education site, a strong focus on transitions to careers, a nationally recognized Wireless Writing
Program, strong community connections, and a supportive culture of action research and teacher collaboration. Relocation Allowance is $700 (for teachers
recruited from BC, AB and Yukon) and $1000 (for teachers recruited from all other areas). $2400 recruitment allowance is paid for all positions based
on FTE and is paid over the 10 months of the school year (prorated for positions shorter than 10 months).
For more information please contact: Wes McKnight, Principal, Dr. Kearney Middle School (250) 785-8378
All applications with relevant documentation must be made through www.makeafuture.ca/peace-river-north for consideration of the position
This posting is ongoing until filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply on line as soon as possible.